Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, August 22, 2011

QT 22 Aug 11, The only remedy for sin is still repentance


Lam 1:12, 14 (NIV) "Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by?
Look around and see.
Is any suffering like my suffering
that was inflicted on me,
that the Lord brought on me
in the day of his fierce anger?
. . .
14 "My sins have been bound into a yoke;
by his hands they were woven together.
They have come upon my neck
and the Lord has sapped my strength.
He has handed me over
to those I cannot withstand.

NOTE: The Mosaic covenant was very clear in its blessings and curses.  There should be no surprise at the severity of the punishment.  In fact, the most surprising aspect is how long God delayed.  From 1375 BC to 586 BC, 790 years, Israel has gone back and forth in its relationship with God, alternating between disobedience and obedience, between good rulers and evil rulers.  And now, 20 generations later, God finally judges her sin. 

We all desire mercy.  We appreciate God's long suffering.  In the NT, there is no longer specific curses for failures, but there are warnings for backsliding and of discipline (the book of Hebrews).  These do not take away our salvation, just as those who walked through the Red Sea did not lose their salvation at Kadesh Barnea.  But they did suffer in not reaching the earthly rest promised in the promised land.

Father, as believers we all fail in many ways.  Forgive us and have mercy on us.  We repent of our sin and ask that you will again help us to live in a manner that pleases you.

No comments:

Post a Comment