Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

QT 24 Aug 11, Seek God in good times and bad


Lam 3:17-18, 25-26, 38 (NIV) I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.
18 So I say, "My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the Lord."
. . .
25 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
. . .
38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High
that both calamities and good things come?

NOTE: We much rather quote verses 25-26 than 17-18.  And yet, Lam 3:32a says "Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, …." God brings or allows--it doesn't really matter, the result is the same--both pain and good.  I personally prefer "allows" since we were the ones who chose to rebel against God in the garden--we have what we thought we wanted.  Yet in the midst of the mess that we chose, God works.  In Romans, Paul writes that "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him." So while my situation may not be directly from God, I am assured that he is working to bring good out of it--at least to those who know him personally and love him.  Now, my situation may in fact be directly from God, especially when God sees a need to discipline me. In which case, verse 40 tells me to examine my ways, test them, and return to the Lord.  If I am in sin or living in rebellion, I need to repent.  But in any case, I must seek God.  And even more importantly, I need to seek God in the good times as well as the hard times, because that is the most important thing to do, and often times the bad times are to remind me that I wasn't seeking God as I should in the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment