Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

QT 31 Aug 11, Having a desire to do something is not an indication of God's will


Rom 1:13 (NIV) I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

NOTE: Paul had planned to come to Rome many times.  Obviously, it was a desire on his heart. But, for whatever reason, God or circumstances (which God allowed) had prevented his fulfilling this desire.  So, the first point is this: having a desire to do something does not mean that it is God's will for your life.  I have heard people argue the opposite point many times.  They are convinced that God has placed a certain desire in their heart and they make foolish decisions to fulfill that desire.  Paul had a desire to go to Rome.  It appears he tried, but he also did not become obsessed with the idea or desire.  He submitted to God's "no."  He let God use him where he was.  At certain times, he appears to try again to fulfill the desire, but every time, he submitted to God.  He did not do foolish things and blame God for the desire on his heart.  Now, he is about ready to start the journey to Rome.  And while he is only a month or two, journey-wise, away from Rome, it will take a number of years to arrive in Rome.  He will spend two years in a jail in Caesarea awaiting a trial.  He does not let his desire for a certain ministry overwhelm him, but patiently waits for God to bring it about in his time.  This is a good lesson for me.  I may have a desire to do something, and it is okay to take steps toward that goal, but if / when God says "no," I need to continue in what he has given me to do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment