Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

QT 17 Aug 11, Don't jump on near term decisions before considering the long term


Jer 46:13-14, 25-26 (NIV) This is the message the Lord spoke to Jeremiah the prophet about the coming of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to attack Egypt:

14 "Announce this in Egypt, and proclaim it in Migdol;
proclaim it also in Memphis and Tahpanhes:
'Take your positions and get ready,
for the sword devours those around you.'
. . .
25 The Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "I am about to bring punishment on Amon god of Thebes, on Pharaoh, on Egypt and her gods and her kings, and on those who rely on Pharaoh. 26 I will hand them over to those who seek their lives, to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and his officers. Later, however, Egypt will be inhabited as in times past," declares the Lord.

NOTE: The remnant from Judah have run from one conflict into another conflict.  It does take some time for Babylon to give up on its attack on Tyre and attack Egypt .  Babylon had already defeated the armies of Egypt at Carchemish, but had not yet invaded the nation.  Most commentators believe that this particular prophecy was made well before the incident with Gedaliah.  Still, that would be even another argument not to run to Egypt.  While Egypt looks safe for the present, the future had already been prophesied as bad. 

We need to be careful about heading into "situations" that look safe in the near term but are less safe in the long term.  As I look at my own job situation, I must make sure I don't take the best position as it stands now, but that I also considered how things may look a few years from now.  And in any case, it is always prudent to bathe decisions in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment