Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, December 4, 2017

QT 4 Dec 17, Phil 4:5, Gentleness is a characteristic of God-followers

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
11
 12/4
Phil 4:1-9
Philippians 4:5 (ESV) — 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
The NIV says 'gentleness' and the NASB95 says 'gentle spirit.' Why? I believe because it is a primary characteristic of our Lord. He love people and cared for people and was gentle with people.
I have seen this character quality change the most in my life over the years. This same passage mentions peace twice. There is a peace that comes from years of walking with God. It is hard to explain, but it is a calmness born out of the Spirit who lives within. As more aspects of our lives are turned over to Christ, we realize the overwhelming peace that only Jesus can give.
Lord, I want to grow more in your peace. I want to be known as a man with a gentle spirit, who is reasonable. I don’t want to be a uncaring firebrand or as a man without compassion. I pray for the church. There are too many who live be rules and not by the love of God. Help us to learn to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment