Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 8, 2018

QT 8 Jan 18, Gen 1:26, Made in the image of God means we are to care for the creation

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
14
 1/8
Gen 1:26-31 (key: 26-27)
Genesis 1:26 (ESV) — 26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
We are made in the image of God. An important questions is "what does it mean to be made in God's image?" And "what does it mean to have dominion?"
The dominion discussion is interesting and partly answered in the text. Dominion did not extend to killing since food was only plants and fruits. Although, it would have included sacrifice (in the case of Abel) and clothing (as exemplified by God's actions during the expulsion from the garden). But primarily dominion would mean to care. So one answer to what does it mean to be made in the image of God, is that we are to care for and about the creation.
Lord, Help me to take the care of the creation seriously. I can not change the whole world, but I can do what is right myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment