Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 13, 2019

QT 13 May 19, Philemon 1-2, We need close church relationships


Philemon 1–2 (ESV) — 1 Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother,
To Philemon our beloved fellow worker 2 and Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house:

NOTE: At first I thought I could make out who was who, but on further thought, I am not sure of the relationship of the three to each other. I am pretty sure Archippus is an elder and leads the church, but that is based on Col 4:18. Apphia appears to be married to one of the two, but could be a daughter to one and a sister to the other. While the letter is primarily to Philemon, it directly affects the other two, either because they are leaders in the church or because they are related to Philemon. In any event, it is nice to see ministry in the home and to see Paul's acknowledgment of such (as he does often in his letters). Sometimes our big building and large congregations cause us to miss out on the intimacy of the early church. A small group, of some kind, or small bible study, brings us back to the spiritual relationships that existed in the first century.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for fellowship and the friendship and relationships of  close brothers and sisters in Christ. I pray that others might experience the close of a small group within their church and not settle for just Church and Sunday School.

No comments:

Post a Comment