Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

QT 21 May 19, Phil 22, The softer side of Paul


Philemon 22 (ESV) — At the same time, prepare a guest room for me, for I am hoping that through your prayers I will be graciously given to you.

NOTE: We get a little insight into the personal side of Paul. I seriously doubt that Philemon was going to start preparing a guest room for Paul or even to leave it open for the next year. More likely, Philemon had a guest room that was always open for visitors. While that may not have been true of most people, we have indications that Philemon was wealthy. The church met in his home and he apparently had servants. Also, since Paul never directly visited Colossae and he knew Philemon well, suggesting that he had met him while Philemon was traveling.  And so the statement is made almost tongue in cheek. Paul didn't need to say anything, but his humorous comment tells Philemon that he is hoping to visit if released. Of course, he is also hoping to go to Spain as well. Paul had a lot of dreams and not all of them were fulfilled, showing that dreams and desires are not necessarily indicators of God's will.

PRAYER: Father, help me to separate dreams and your will. Give me contentment in the place that you have "placed" me.

No comments:

Post a Comment