Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

QT 19 Jun 19, Gen 21:1-2 6, It takes a lifetime to develop real, walking faith -- not just the words but the heart


Genesis 21:1–2 (ESV) —
1 The Lord visited Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did to Sarah as he had promised. 2 And Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age at the time of which God had spoken to him.
Genesis 21:6 (ESV) —
6 And Sarah said, “God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh over me.”

NOTE: The initial laughter which was one of unbelief has turned into a new type of laughter, one of joy. God provided in his time. It was not on the timetable of Abraham or Sarah. And yet, it was the perfect timeframe. And their joy was even greater than it might have been had it been on their timetable. It is very hard to wait on God. We think we are getting too old to see our prayer answered but God knows what he is doing. Then the issue becomes trust. Do I trust God? Do I really believe that something achieved 5 or more years later than I had wished is better? Do I really believe God knows best? Can I trust him? I'm not sure anyone has that kind of faith. I don't think Abraham had it. But Abraham grew strong in his faith as he learned it. Maybe the only people who ever really have strong faith are the old and aged, those who have had to wait, watch, and witness God's working in their lives. I've seen God do wonderful things in my life, but they don't ever seem to have occurred on my timetable. Still, I am starting to really believe, not just verbalize, that he cares for me and has my best interest at heart.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for your timetable. Forgive my impatience. You are doing wonderful things in your time. I want to be your witness of love and the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ to those I come in contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment