Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

QT 5 Jun 19, Gen 17:21, Life is a long series of Faith challenges


Genesis 17:21 (ESV) — But I will establish my covenant with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this time next year.”

NOTE: Abraham now has a date, well, at least a time-frame--"this time next year." So, does having a time-frame make faith easier? I'm not sure. I guess a time-frame is much better than an indefinite "it will happen." But time-frames have their own problems. They become too much the focus of our life to the point where we wish so much for the day to come that we stop enjoying the days we have now. I like to phrase it - "we wish part of our life away." Each day is a day that will never come again. Children are older, things are different. Every day changes everything. There are times, especially in great pain, where we might wish days of pain to pass quickly -- that is, it is worth it to get out from under whatever hangs over us. But, in general, waiting for a date to come has its own challenges. God gives him a whole year to wait. That is hard. Can we trust God and wait? Or do we try to speed things up? New challenges and new ways to trust God. Abraham was 99 and Sarah was 90. I'm sure for the next 4 to 6 months, they wondered if anything was really going to happen. Their faith was challenged even with a promise and a time-frame. Life is one long series of faith challenges. It is not blind faith or even faith without any intellectual basis, as Atheists might argue. Everyone lives by faith in something, if they are intelligent enough to admit it.

PRAYER: Father, strengthen my faith. Help me to enjoy each day that you give me. Protect me from getting ahead of you. Help me to relax in you -- "my lines have fallen in pleasant places (Psalm)."

No comments:

Post a Comment