Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

QT 25 Jun 19, 2 Chron 24:17, Danger of flattery


2 Chronicles 24:17 (ESV) — Now after the death of Jehoiada the princes of Judah came and paid homage to the king. Then the king listened to them.

NOTE: Joash had a great accomplishment, the rebuilding of the house of God. He even did it without prodding from Jehoida, but took the initiative himself. But this passage shows the danger of not having good fellowship and good counsel. While Joash had Jehoida, he did what was right, but after Jehoida's death, he listened to the princes of Judah who were flattering him for influence. And as a result, he turned from God to idols. I think deep down, we all want to be flattered and so it makes us susceptible to the person whose flatter we enjoy. Not all flattery has this effect, personally I hated some of the flattery I received as a military squadron commander, primarily because it was fake. But someone who knows what he is doing can flatter without appearing as a "brown-noser" or someone who is being fake. Those are the dangerous ones.

PRAYER: Father, as I move into this new position, I pray that I would have a realistic view of people's comments. Protect me from falling for fake flattery. And may I always have good Christian fellowship to challenge me to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment