Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 24, 2019

QT 24 Jun 19, 2 Chron 23:16-17, Drastic action


2 Chronicles 23:16–17 (ESV) — 16 And Jehoiada made a covenant between himself and all the people and the king that they should be the Lord’s people. 17 Then all the people went to the house of Baal and tore it down; his altars and his images they broke in pieces, and they killed Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars.

NOTE: Eradicating sin can call for drastic action. In this case, the nation had agreed by covenant with God to abide by his laws. This is not the same agreement our country has with God, and so in terms of group actions, we cannot abide with the same responses. On the other hand, individually, within our self and our home, we certainly can take drastic action to deal with sin. And we should if sin has found a home within our home. In the story, Athaliah had allowed a demonic presence in Jerusalem; she allowed Satan a presence through demonic worship, the house of Baal. They could not tip-toe around the obvious, it must be immediately destroyed and removed.

PRAYER: Father, help me to see the sins in my life that have found a home and rooted themselves in my soul. I am very proud and arrogant, and it is easy to miss what to others is quite obvious. My desire is to be humble and obedient. I desire to learn and to always be open to your Holy Spirit's teaching. May I never not consider something I read or hear or see that conforms to your truth. Keep me sensitive to your Spirit's still small voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment