Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 27, 2019

QT 27 Jun 19, 2 Chron 25:1-3, There is a time for everything


2 Chronicles 25:1–3 (ESV) — 1 Amaziah was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jehoaddan of Jerusalem. 2 And he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, yet not with a whole heart. 3 And as soon as the royal power was firmly his, he killed his servants who had struck down the king his father.

NOTE: I don't think the lack of a "whole heart" was related to the delay in justice against his servants who had killed the king. I do find it interesting that he waited until "the royal power was firmly his." Even though executing justice was the right thing to do--though one can debate whether a trial was performed or if the punishment was too strict given his Father's actions--he waited until taking action. In other words, there is a time for certain actions and there is a time to wait. This is a well-known worldly philosophy as well as one Solomon mentions in Ecclesiastes. The important point is that not only should we take action that is prudent but we must wisely execute those actions at the appropriate time. That does sound a little like "scheming," but I believe if it is done openly, with prayer, and with the right heart, it would be an acceptable course of action. There is one danger in taking this as an application. This particular piece of prose relates a historical event, not a teaching of scripture. And while the author provides moral commentary, it does not provide it for all actions. Therefore, one could not teach this concept, only point to it as an example of some other didactic portion of scripture.

PRAYER: Father, I pray for you to lead and guide me. Help me to only take actions consistent with your leading. I don't want to scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment