Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 6, 2019

QT 6 Jun 19, Gen 18:14-15, The pattern of fellowship, revelation, and supplication


Genesis 18:14–15 (ESV) — 14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time I will return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son.” 15 But Sarah denied it, saying, “I did not laugh,” for she was afraid. He said, “No, but you did laugh.”

NOTE: The phrase "about this time next year" gives a time-frame for this visit. It could not have been more than a few weeks to a few months after the last visit. "About this time" probably refers to the season, as opposed to an exact date. Sarah's response of "laughter" is clearly not joy at the news as some have suggested, because she denies it. She laughed because she disbelieved, much as Abraham laughed in disbelief a short time earlier. I'm sure that later, the laughter turned to joy. The interesting aspect is that after a time of fellowship, represented by the food, God reveals his plan. I think our problem is that we want the plan without spending time in fellowship. Also, after revealing his plan, God will next listen to Abraham's prayer and pleading for the people of Sodom. There is a pattern -- fellowship, revelation, and confirming prayer. It is a pattern that we would be well advised to follow.

PRAYER: Father, continue to reveal your plan to me. Give me eyes to see what you are doing and to respond in obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment