Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

QT 11 Mar 2020, 1 Tim 1:12-15, God calls sinners not good people


1 Timothy 1:12–15 (ESV) — 12 I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 13 though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

NOTE: Paul's use of the term "insolent opponent," also translated as a "violent man" in the NIV84 captures my attention. The word actually denotes his pride. He was incredibly prideful and apparently good with words so that he would heap insults and difficult arguments upon others in his quest to destroy their faith. I'm sure he felt the full shame of that knowledge after he  came to know Jesus in such a miraculous way. He was ignorant -- aren't we all? -- but God demonstrated mercy and grace to Paul. None of us deserve the opportunities that we have. We are all sinners saved by grace. None of us are needed by God. None of us are untouched by sin. None of us are worthy. Jesus came to save sinners and for some strange reason or seeming accident, he saved me too. Move over Paul, you are not the only one who shouldn't be in the family.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for your salvation and for including me in you plan. I am not worthy to be called your son. Thank you so much for this incredible gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment