Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 30, 2020

QT 30 Mar 2020, 1 Tim 3:1, The noble task of pastor and elder


1 Timothy 3:1 (ESV) — 1 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task.

NOTE: I always felt you were called to the position, and I am not disputing that is true. In fact, the person's aspiration may very well be the Spirit of God's prompting. The other thing is the Paul does not restrict it to certain gifts.  Again, I always thought of those gifted in shepherding would make good elders and pastors. It could be that as one matures in his love for Christ, he changes in such a way that love for others is evident in his life, and so he takes on the role of a shepherd. I don't have the answers, but it is a good thing to aspire to the role, provided the reasons are right. It is a noble task and it carries great responsibility. But as is seen in the next few verses, it is a special man who serves as an elder.

PRAYER: Thank you for the men, the Pastors, that you have provided to my church. They are good men, full of the Holy Spirit. They love others and are humble. They really do desire for others to grow in their relationship with Jesus. Protect them in these days. Keep them and their families safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment