Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, March 16, 2020

QT 16 Mar 2020, 1 Tim 1:18-20, A good teacher's heart is for people to change and become like Jesus


1 Timothy 1:18–20 (ESV) — 18 This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, 20 among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.

NOTE: You cannot lose your salvation, but you can shipwreck your faith. They had damaged themselves so much, that the only alternative was to hand them over to Satan. Marshall writes
"Apparently, in the Pauline churches it was believed that in extreme cases of persistent sin God employed Satan as an agent, but nevertheless God himself remained firmly in control of the situation. (Marshall, I. H., & Towner, P. H. (2004). A critical and exegetical commentary on the Pastoral Epistles (p. 415). London; New York: T&T Clark International)." I think these verses point back to 1:3-6 and then summarized again in 1 Tim 6:20-21 -- which is false, vain teaching. I don't think Alexander was the coppersmith -- I think these two were probably believers. They were probably teachers, but they were more interested in themselves and the glory they received from their teaching than a love for the body. Unless our heart's desire is not to see change -- real application to the word of God -- we are not doing any good.

PRAYER: Father, check my heart. I want to see people change and grow in their relationship to Christ. Like John the Baptist, I want to see Jesus exalted more and more in the lives of others. Open our eyes to see the joy that comes from truly knowing and walking with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment