Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, March 5, 2020

QT 5 Mar 2020, 1 Tim 1:5-7, A teacher who loves encourages application


1 Timothy 1:5–7 (ESV) — 5 The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

NOTE: What is my focus as a teacher? Why are secret teachings so appealing? Do we try to exalt ourselves by showing special knowledge? Does it make us feel important? This is certainly a danger for any teacher. We do want others to discover truth and see it with new insights. But, I think it is a dangerous thing to want the "wow factor" or the "zing" truth. The results of teaching should lead to solid application of the word. What does a new insight do? Does it tickle a fancy or does it highlight a doctrinal truth which must be obeyed. If my students are not obeying the word, then my function is worthless to the church.

PRAYER: Father, I pray I would keep the focus on obedience to the truth. I pray that I would emphasize application of the word and not just insight into the word. Insight needs to lead to application, otherwise I am just puffing up my students. And I do not love them if that is my only result.

No comments:

Post a Comment