Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, May 22, 2020

QT 22 May 2020, 1 Tim 5: 21-22, Use good discernment before making a judgment


1 Timothy 5:21–22 (ESV) — 21 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of the elect angels I charge you to keep these rules without prejudging, doing nothing from partiality. 22 Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, nor take part in the sins of others; keep yourself pure.

NOTE: I wish I knew Timothy better. I know he his young. He does not seem to command the respect of more forceful personalities. He is timid. I would be surprised if he showed partiality, but he sounds like a person who can flow with the crowd. He does not have to be in charge, and therefore he is susceptible to manipulation by other's opinions. Without realizing his fault, his instinct to join the crowd or not to cause waves can cause him to be on the wrong side of the issue. Paul seems to be telling him that he needs to stand up on his own and on his own convictions. Think through things before agreeing. Try to determine the principle or underlying factors in the issue. Don't be dogmatic, be willing to listen to arguments, but don't be wishy-washy and easily swayed as well.

PRAYER: Father, we all need to be a little more discriminating in our views. We need to listen carefully and we need to be willing to reevaluate our own views. Give us discernment and kindness toward others. I pray we would not fall into the trap of immediately judging others.

No comments:

Post a Comment