Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, May 7, 2020

QT 7 May 2020, 1 Tim 4:11-12, Setting the example


1 Timothy 4:11–12 (ESV) — 11 Command and teach these things. 12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

NOTE: Wow, this is a strong statement --  "command and teach these things," but what things? The most recent verses warn against asceticism, aspects of Judaism, and possibly gnostic teaching. Paul urges training in the words of the faith and good doctrine. We are to pursue the spiritual over the physical (although not exclusively). If you expand "these things," then we would as also command: the roles of men (men are given the divine role to lead spiritually in the home and church) and women (women are to assist men spiritually) in the church, and the qualifications for men to serve in leadership and ministry. They need to exhibit certain character qualities and patterns before being accepted into leadership in the church. Timothy, while young, is to set a pattern of behavior that should be an example to the young and old believers (and by implication to the leaders).

PRAYER: Father, where do I fail to set a proper example to other believers? Where do I fail in my speech or my conduct or my love or my faith or my purity? Give me insight into my failures. Help me to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment