Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

QT 26 May 2020, 1 Tim 6:1-2, Employee -- Employer relationships


1 Timothy 6:1–2 (ESV) — 1 Let all who are under a yoke as bondservants regard their own masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be reviled. 2 Those who have believing masters must not be disrespectful on the ground that they are brothers; rather they must serve all the better since those who benefit by their good service are believers and beloved.
Teach and urge these things.

NOTE: Paul takes on the relationships within slavery in quite a few of his letters. His teaching does not support slavery, rather he changes the entire dynamic of slavery. People entered slavery in order to pay off debt. And slavery was for a limited time, and often between countrymen. It was more akin to a long-term contract. Paul expected both slave and master to treat each other with respect. In other respects, Jesus taught that we are all to take on the role of servants to others. What is important is that in every relationship, we need to be solid witnesses for Jesus Christ. We should show respect and honor. As a master (or employer), not mentioned in this passage, we who have individuals working for us, must also live like servants, not ruling over, but caring for those who God has placed in our work control.

PRAYER: Father, I want to pray for those who work for me. I pray that I would be kind and respectful to them. I pray that I would listen and hear their concerns. I pray that they may know the power of your presence in their own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment