Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

QT 1/12/2022 Matt 16:27-28, Sacrificing for what is more important

 

Matthew 16:27–28 (ESV) —

27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. 28 Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

 

NOTE: This is a difficult passage when you add in Jesus' statement in verse 28. And I must admit to looking at other commentators to get their ideas. Of course if I had read the next few verses, I would have seen Matthew's view of Jesus statement. Matthew and many commentators saw the transfiguration as Jesus' fulfillment. Apparently Peter who was up on the mountain for the transfiguration view it that way as well when he says:

 

2 Peter 1:16–18 (ESV) — 16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For when he received honor and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,” 18 we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain.

 

Peter even uses the word "coming" to cement it to Jesus statement. Still, this is just a follow-on to the previous message, "suffering must precede glory (Blomberg)." This is a message that we Christians don't want to hear. We'd rather hear the "health and wealth" gospel that God doesn't ever want us to be sick and God wants us to be wealthy. But that is not God's message, rather it is a message of the evil one who wants us to live for ourselves rather that sacrifice so that others can hear the gospel message.

 

PONDER:

  1. If someone was to evaluate my life, finances, and passion, what would they say I am living for?
  2. Do my actions match my words?

 

PRAYER: Father, this is a tough passage. Our sinful bodies want to live for ourselves. You call us to something much greater and with even greater reward in the future. But we lust for the now. Forgive us. Give us the strength to live for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment