Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 27, 2022

QT 1/27/2022 Matt 18:18-20, The responsibilities of leaders

Matthew 18:18–20 (ESV) —

18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

 

NOTE: In context, this passage follows the previous discussion on reconciliation and of the practice of excluding non-repentant sinners from fellowship. Verse 18 gives the leadership the authority (keys) to judge believers. Verse 19-20 continue the same thought. The word for anything (pragma), is more often used in legal matters and could be translated as a concern or matter of law. The apostles, and in this context of as few as two or three, the elders of a church, have the authority to resolve spiritual matters. And the Lord promises to be with them with the full authority of the Father. Elders have a great responsibility. It requires spiritual wisdom and it is important that the elders are men of wisdom and strong biblical knowledge. And that they depend upon God in prayer. This job cannot be done in human strength or human understanding.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I depend upon God in making decisions, or do I use my own human thought processes?

 

PRAYER: Father, I want to wait upon you and seek you. Help me to not answer too quickly. Help me to think of the biblical principles that apply. Protect me from speaking too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment