Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 21, 2022

QT 1/21/2022 Matt 18:1-6, Treating everyone as Jesus would treat them

Matthew 18:1–6 (ESV) —

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, 6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

 

NOTE: A common thing for a man is to determine what it takes to move up in the hierarchy. In light of Jesus' recent discussion of his death, and the fact that Matthew seems to be taking a more chronological approach as we come to the end of Jesus' ministry, the question seems odd, even insensitive. I don't think the child is the example so much as the child's position and secondly, our response to children. A child can be quite annoying and arrogant, but a child is dependent upon adults for his or her existence. So part of greatness, is not being self-sufficient nor is it being someone who accomplishes a task in their own strength. A great person brings others in and shows interdependence in their relationship with others. A second aspect is how we respond to children when we are not their parents. In the culture, children were not valued as having something important to say. I've seen the world's "great" persons; I've worked for them, high government officials, general officers, vice presidents of companies, ambassadors, etc., and I've seen many who will shut a person down because they don't think their comments are worth hearing. The lesson is that we need to value everyone's input and opinion, and give them the hearing they deserve (that is the meaning of respect). Great men treat everyone with dignity and respect, regardless of place in society.

 

PONDER:

  1. How do I treat the janitor, the septic system maintainer, the nursery worker, the store salesperson, the cashier, the fast food worker, the noisy playground child, etc.? Is it different from the governor, my boss, or anyone else?

 

PRAYER: Father, remind me in my interactions today of how I am treating people. I want everyone to be important to me and to be treated as if they are the most famous person in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment