Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 28, 2022

QT 1/28/2022 Matt 18:21-22, How often do we forgive?

Matthew 18:21–22 (ESV) —

21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times.

 

NOTE: In context, we are continuing the discussion of conflicts between believers. We have already discussed the process and the authority of the leadership to resolve / judge disputes between believers. But Peter questions how many times they need to forgive their brother. Apparently, the Rabbis taught three times, so Peter's suggestion of seven times sounds better from the point of view of being more forgiving, and that it is a number equated with God. Jesus throws out a much larger number. Commentators suggest 77 as opposed to 70 times 7, but it does not matter. Jesus was not suggesting you start counting and when you hit 78 or 491, you don't have to forgive. Rather, in the new covenant, you always forgive, just as God always forgives us. Who has not committed one particular sin at least 78 or 491 times? What if God stopped forgiving us at that point? So, we have to forgive others (provided they are repentant--references the earlier verses) as many times as necessary.

 

PONDER:

  1. Is there someone you are harboring a grudge against, that you cannot forgive?

 

PRAYER: Father, I am so thankful for your mercy toward me. I am so undeserving. I want to show the same mercy to others. Forgive me when I am angry at people for their actions. Forgive me when it is against brothers or sisters in the church. Give me the strength to always forgive and to always love the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment