Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, January 14, 2022

QT 1/14/2022 Matt 17:9-13, Who is Elijah really?

Matthew 17:9–13 (ESV) —

9 And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.” 10 And the disciples asked him, “Then why do the scribes say that first Elijah must come?” 11 He answered, “Elijah does come, and he will restore all things. 12 But I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they pleased. So also the Son of Man will certainly suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was speaking to them of John the Baptist.

 

NOTE: This is one of my favorite passages of scripture, confusing and yet it makes sense. The nation of Israel rejects the Messiah (something God foreknew), but Elijah did come for the first visit (John the Baptist). We are now in the church age, but God is not finished with Israel, and so Elijah will come to restore all things. He will come during the tribulation period and prior to the Messiah's second coming, when Jesus will not come as a suffering servant to die for our sins but as the triumphant lion of the tribe of David to administer justice to the nations. So, was John the Baptist Elijah? Yes and No. Has Elijah already come or will he come still? Yes and Yes. I think Elijah comes again as one of the two witnesses in the tribulation. But, I certainly could be wrong. It is possible there is only one coming of Elijah and it has already happened, and the restoration of all things (the kingdom) is ongoing. But I think my first view makes more sense.

 

PONDER:

  1. I don't have to know the answers to all the mysteries to be about the great commission. Am I doing anything to bring about the return of the Messiah or am I wasting my time just studying end times?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray we would be living for you and not gazing at navels. We need to be about the work of the ministry. Help us to see and react to those opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment