Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

QT 1/4/2022 Matt 16:5-12, Today's new leaven

Matthew 16:5–12 (ESV) —

5 When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread. 6 Jesus said to them, “Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 7 And they began discussing it among themselves, saying, “We brought no bread.” 8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, “O you of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread? 9 Do you not yet perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? 11 How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

 

NOTE: Jesus chides the disciples for missing the point. They were focused on the material, and more pointedly, their stomach or appetite. Jesus was focused on the spiritual which is affected by thoughts and attitudes. There is a Christian book called the "The Battle for the Mind" which I have not read, but the title alone suggests that spiritual battles start in the mind. Correct thinking is the best defense for correct behavior. Today, Jesus would say something like beware of the leaven of the television and media elites. I started to add "culture" to the end of the last sentence when I realized that television and the media elites have built the culture. What is their leaven? They promote sex before marriage, bisexuality, homosexuality, living together before marriage, marriage between the same sexes, racial angst, science as the solution for all problems (except when it disagrees with an anti-God or anti-moral narrative), etc. Jesus would warn us of these teachings.

 

PONDER:

  1. How much have I bought into the lies of the media? How much do I even realize?
  2. How often do I try to fit the bible's teaching into the world's teaching in order to fit into the culture?

 

PRAYER: Father, as Jesus chided the disciples, so I ask you to open my minds to the new leaven that spreads among our culture. It is evil and it is of the devil. Help me to share truth in a gentle and respectful manner. And help me to see the lies early.

No comments:

Post a Comment