Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

QT 4/12/2022 Matt 25:1-6, Preparing for the long haul

Matthew 25:1–6 (ESV) — 1 “Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, 4 but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. 5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. 6 But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’

 

NOTE: This is a parable and is not to be read literally. The foolishness of five of the bridesmaid is that they were not prepared for a long wait for the bridegroom. In Jewish culture, the bridegroom fetches the bride when the father says it is time -- when the house is completed. Five assumed the groom would come quickly, five were prepared for a long wait, but also went out to meet him. I believe Jesus' coming is soon, but I also believe that it could take longer. I must be prudent. I must prepare for retirement. I must take care of my family and other responsibilities God has given me. I don't want to be a burden on them or on society. Jesus could come tomorrow and all that I have gathered won't matter, but if he does not come as soon as I hope, I am prepared to continue in ministry until he comes.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I prepared for retirement?
  2. Even more importantly, have I prepared to minister in my retirement?
  3. Or will I be a burden to the church and my family because I lived for my pleasure during life and did not save for retirement?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray we would be prudent as believers to prepare for any day that you might come. I pray we would be ministering to others even in our retirement days. I know this requires self-control to say no to our fleshly desires in order to save for the future. Give us strength to make the right decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment