Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, April 15, 2022

QT 4/15/2022 Matt 25:19-23, Investing in the Kingdom

Matthew 25:19–23 (ESV) — 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’

 

NOTE: God is interested in seeing us use what he has given us for greater good. And this is not about a tenth or a tithe--this is our whole life, everything that God has given us. We won't be measured by tithes, but by the impact of our lives. Our reward will be measured on those standards, not our giving program. Craig Blomberg says it well in his commentary:

 

Those who have been good stewards of all the time, material resources, and abilities God has given them (and not just with a tenth of these) can expect commendation, happiness, and eternal life from God. (Blomberg, C. (1992). Matthew (Vol. 22, p. 373). Broadman & Holman Publishers.)

 

Our eternal life is secured by our faith. But eternity itself is rewarded by our obedience now.

 

Mark 10:29–30 (ESV) — 29 Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, 30 who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.

 

God has given us much -- talents, skills, spiritual gifts, position, opportunities, education, acquisitions, ministries-- not so that we could keep 90 percent and give him a tenth.

 

Luke 16:10–12 (ESV) — 10 “One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. 11 If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own?

 

We are called to use what God has entrusted to us for the kingdom. As the passage today shows, each of us are given varying amounts. The lesson from this passage is that it doesn't matter if were given a lot or a little, what matters is -- did we invest it for the kingdom?

 

PONDER:

  1. Are we investing ourselves, our lives in the kingdom?
  2. Or, are we living for ourselves and throwing God the crumbs (ten percent), thinking to keep him happy?

 

PRAYER: Father, we are all so selfish. I confess that I look to my needs first. You have given me a lot. I need to be faithful with it. I need to use it to advance the kingdom. I need to honor you with my whole self, not a part.

No comments:

Post a Comment