Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

QT 4/20/2022 Matt 25:35-40, Good works from within, not from outside

Matthew 25:35–40 (ESV) — 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

 

NOTE: The righteous are caught off guard by Jesus' statement. They do not remember specifically doing the things Jesus celebrates of them. The righteous did good works out of the good in their heart and a result of the Holy Spirit's work to change them. Their outward works was not the focus, but it came out of a relationship with Jesus (the real focus). In the another passage (Matt 7:21-23), these others will claim to have done these things -- the "works" their focus -- but they missed out on what was truly important, knowing Jesus. Works matter, but only in so much as they show a changed life. When the Spirit gets a hold of our heart we are changed and we begin to think about how our life affects those around us. That is a true spirit filled life. Good works become part of them, not a means to an end.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do good works and the desire to do good come from within? Or is it something I force myself to do because I want to be seen by others?

 

PRAYER: Father, continue to change and transform us in our relationship with the savior to be men and women who naturally live a life of love and goodness to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment