Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 25, 2022

QT 4/25/2022 Matt 26:6-13, Recognizing what we are designed for

Matthew 26:6–13 (ESV) — 6 Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, 7 a woman came up to him with an alabaster flask of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head as he reclined at table. 8 And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, “Why this waste? 9 For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor.” 10 But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. 12 In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial. 13 Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her.”

 

NOTE: The Greek word for beautiful is kalos. It occurs 54 times in the New Testament and is most often translated as good. But the primary definition of the word is beautiful, excellent, eminent, surpassing, precious, commendable.  I like the word choice of beautiful here in this passage. For the men are only concerned about the costs and what could have been done with such a large sum of money. But the woman, as Jesus says, has done a beautiful thing. Only the God-man Jesus could perfectly see through the differences between a man and a woman. Yes, both sexes can appreciate beauty. But for the woman, it is part of her nature. She appreciates the softer unseen things of life so much better. The men are too external and physical. Does it have value? Can you do something with it? What is its purpose? Those things are important but so are the more subtle things of life. Jesus' death will be a beautiful thing for us. And this woman added beauty to the story of Jesus dying for the sins of all mankind. Thank you, whoever you were, for bringing beauty into the story of my salvation.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I appreciate the beauty the woman added to the story?
  2. Is Jesus' death really beautiful to me?

 

PRAYER: Father, though the world dismisses the differences in the sexes, I want to thank you for how you designed us. May we find our fulfillment in discovering how and why you created us as we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment