Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 10, 2022

QT 11/10/2022 1 Sam 11:1-15, Staying on course

1 Samuel 11:5–7 (ESV) —

5 Now, behold, Saul was coming from the field behind the oxen. And Saul said, “What is wrong with the people, that they are weeping?” So they told him the news of the men of Jabesh. 6 And the Spirit of God rushed upon Saul when he heard these words, and his anger was greatly kindled. 7 He took a yoke of oxen and cut them in pieces and sent them throughout all the territory of Israel by the hand of the messengers, saying, “Whoever does not come out after Saul and Samuel, so shall it be done to his oxen!” Then the dread of the Lord fell upon the people, and they came out as one man.

1 Samuel 11:11–15 (ESV) —

11 And the next day Saul put the people in three companies. And they came into the midst of the camp in the morning watch and struck down the Ammonites until the heat of the day. And those who survived were scattered, so that no two of them were left together.

12 Then the people said to Samuel, “Who is it that said, ‘Shall Saul reign over us?’ Bring the men, that we may put them to death.” 13 But Saul said, “Not a man shall be put to death this day, for today the Lord has worked salvation in Israel.” 14 Then Samuel said to the people, “Come, let us go to Gilgal and there renew the kingdom.” 15 So all the people went to Gilgal, and there they made Saul king before the Lord in Gilgal. There they sacrificed peace offerings before the Lord, and there Saul and all the men of Israel rejoiced greatly.

 

NOTE: Knowing the end of the story, that is, Saul's failure to be a king devoted to the Lord, it is tempting to try to find the seeds of failure in the early passages. And yet, everything is very positive. Saul, already anointed King, is working in his fields. Saul calls the nation to battle to save a small town that actually deserted the larger Israel (Judges 21:5). His division of the troops produces a multi-front attack. After the victory, he does not seek vengeance on his detractors. He gives God the credit for the victory (11:13). All-in-all, it would be hard to find a better sequence of events to start off the reign of a godly king. So how does Saul start so well and fail so badly? And what does that mean to us? Can we lose our "first-love?" Can we grow complacent in our service to God? Do we start to lean on our status instead of trusting in God?

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I still trust God? Has my heart grown a little cold with the years?
  2. When things don't go my way (such as world events), do I begin to doubt God's control? Am I really seeking God's will to be done, or my comfortable life to be secured here on earth?

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for thinking how things should turn out in life. As the song goes,

 

This world is not my home, I'm just a passing thru,

My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue;

The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door,

And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

 

O Lord, you know I have no friend like you,

If Heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do?

The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door,

And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

From <https://namethathymn.com/hymn-lyrics/viewtopic.php?t=5121>

 

I know the words, but sometimes I seek my joy in the wrong things. Protect my heart from this world. Let me use the things of the world for good, but not to fall in love with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment