Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

QT 11/23/2022 1 Sam 14:43-46, We need God in everything

1 Samuel 14:43–46 (ESV) —

43 Then Saul said to Jonathan, “Tell me what you have done.” And Jonathan told him, “I tasted a little honey with the tip of the staff that was in my hand. Here I am; I will die.” 44 And Saul said, “God do so to me and more also; you shall surely die, Jonathan.” 45 Then the people said to Saul, “Shall Jonathan die, who has worked this great salvation in Israel? Far from it! As the Lord lives, there shall not one hair of his head fall to the ground, for he has worked with God this day.” So the people ransomed Jonathan, so that he did not die. 46 Then Saul went up from pursuing the Philistines, and the Philistines went to their own place.

 

NOTE: I think Robert Bergen's comments on this passage and the preceding passages are the best I have read.

 

"Taken as a whole, 14:24–45 is a stunningly effective critique of all monarchies. This passage showcases a spectrum of frailties and follies that beset monarchies. Using Saul, Israel’s first monarch, as an example, the narrative demonstrates that kings could lead Israel into battle, but they could also diminish a nation’s capacity to achieve victory. Kings could build altars for their subjects to sacrifice to God, but they could not guarantee an encounter with the divine. They could utter powerful words—curses and oaths—but lacked the power to bring about their fulfillment." (Bergen, R. D. (1996). 1, 2 Samuel (Vol. 7, p. 161). Broadman & Holman Publishers.)

 

A monarch is still a human being, even if he is anointed by God. I would argue that there has never been a good monarchy, although there have been good kings at times in many monarchies. But most monarchies seem to have a majority of bad kings. Lord Acton, an English Catholic, wrote the famous line: 

 

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men…"

 

Lord Acton would seem to argue that there has never been a good king -- well I suppose the definition of good would need be elaborated. The point is that we are all sinners and no King is any less a sinner, and probably more a sinner (if such a thing exists in God's eyes) because of the greater temptations.

 

The bottom line, good leadership needs God's help. From day one, we need to train our own children, that we always need God's help. And we need to set that example and work on it as well -- we need God's help in all things. We are not self-sufficient.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I bring God into aspects of my day -- my decisions, my frustrations, my worries, my beginnings (the first thing in the morning)?

 

PRAYER: Father, I confess that I need you all the time. I don't act like. I act self -sufficient. I forget you, that you are always there. I need you and I confess I have failed in bringing you into all aspects of my life. Today, as I face a couple of contractors, I pray for you wisdom and guiding as I hear their pitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment