Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

QT 11/1/2022 1 Sam 8:1-7, Stop blaming yourself

1 Samuel 8:1–7 (ESV) —

1 When Samuel became old, he made his sons judges over Israel. 2 The name of his firstborn son was Joel, and the name of his second, Abijah; they were judges in Beersheba. 3 Yet his sons did not walk in his ways but turned aside after gain. They took bribes and perverted justice.

4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah 5 and said to him, “Behold, you are old and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint for us a king to judge us like all the nations.” 6 But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, “Give us a king to judge us.” And Samuel prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord said to Samuel, “Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them.

 

NOTE: It is easy to blame children's responses on the parents because in many cases, it was the parent who failed to provide a proper foundation. But, we must never forget that children (and also us) are not the product of our parent's choices but, we are the product of our choices. We cannot blame our parents on our choices. Our children cannot blame us on their choices. We cannot blame society or our environment for our failures. Samuel's sons were wicked. Israel rejected theocracy. Israel also rejected the Torah pattern of hierocracy (rule by Levites, Deut 17:8-13). I'm sure Samuel was humbled by the turn of events. He did the right thing. He prayed. The people had rejected God, but we have a tendency to take it personal, just as when our children make poor decisions. Some of us have a tendency to make everything a reflection upon ourselves. In this sense, there is a good lesson from Samuel -- take it to the Lord. Don't make it about yourself, take it to the Lord.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I take the actions of others I've led or trained as an indictment upon myself or do I go to God with my disappointments? It is very disheartening to see someone we love or care for make bad decisions. But God is their ultimate father and leader and ruler -- they fight against God, not against me.

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to learn but also to let go when I am disappointed by others. I can always learn but I cannot blame myself for an individual's free will choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment