Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

QT 11/16/2022 1 Sam 13:8-14, It's the heart that counts

1 Samuel 13:8–14 (ESV) —

8 He waited seven days, the time appointed by Samuel. But Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and the people were scattering from him. 9 So Saul said, “Bring the burnt offering here to me, and the peace offerings.” And he offered the burnt offering. 10 As soon as he had finished offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came. And Saul went out to meet him and greet him. 11 Samuel said, “What have you done?” And Saul said, “When I saw that the people were scattering from me, and that you did not come within the days appointed, and that the Philistines had mustered at Michmash, 12 I said, ‘Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the favor of the Lord.’ So I forced myself, and offered the burnt offering.” 13 And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the command of the Lord your God, with which he commanded you. For then the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. 14 But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be prince over his people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.”

 

NOTE: The passage says "he waited seven days," but this was not a western country, and seven days did not mean seven-24 hour periods. There were two sacrifices each day (Num 28:1-6). Samuel still arrived on time for the twilight sacrifice. Saul failed in a number of ways. He did not wait the whole  day. He took upon himself the role of the priest, the mediator between man and God. He also let circumstances force his hand. The scattering of the army, Samuel's apparent delay, and the enemy at hand. He represented Israel as King and as such, much was required of him. David was not perfect either, but David had the right heart. Apparently, Saul had no heart for God or a desire to obey God. He was the classic religious person who goes through the motions but they mean nothing to him.

 

PONDER:

  1. What motivates me in my faith? Is it a heart for God, or a sense of duty (which is really nothing but works-based salvation attempt)?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for rescuing me from the religion of my youth. I did not know you, and if I thought about it, I did not really care. Thank you for opening my eyes and transforming my life with the truth of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment