Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

QT 11/8/2022 1 Sam 10:20-24, We need to turn to God in the midst of trials

1 Samuel 10:20–24 (ESV) —

20 Then Samuel brought all the tribes of Israel near, and the tribe of Benjamin was taken by lot. 21 He brought the tribe of Benjamin near by its clans, and the clan of the Matrites was taken by lot; and Saul the son of Kish was taken by lot. But when they sought him, he could not be found. 22 So they inquired again of the Lord, “Is there a man still to come?” and the Lord said, “Behold, he has hidden himself among the baggage.” 23 Then they ran and took him from there. And when he stood among the people, he was taller than any of the people from his shoulders upward. 24 And Samuel said to all the people, “Do you see him whom the Lord has chosen? There is none like him among all the people.” And all the people shouted, “Long live the king!”

 

NOTE: While it was not God's original plan, it was God's plan for Saul to rule Israel. He is one of only three persons to rule the entire country. He was anointed. God clearly chose him. The people stood behind me. But the story reminds me of a movie where no one wants to be sheriff, they are just looking for anyone stupid enough to standup to the outlaws. Samuel's first job is to defeat or defend the country against the Philistines. There is a little he can do until he shows progress on the first order of business. And so, despite the hoopla, life gets back to normal, as Israel awaits the next attack. Saul lives or dies on the next Philistine attack. He is not a spiritual person. He will try to fight the battle with wits and strength. And there lies his failure. Until he turns to God and waits upon God, everything else will be futile.

 

PONDER:

  1. Today had a rough start. I did pray at the beginning of the day, but I forgot to pray once the problems started. We all need to ask that question, do  I pray in the midst of events or only before any events have even started?

 

PRAYER: Father, you blessed the day despite many problems. Still, I needed to turn to you sooner in the day rather than depending on my wit and wiles to get me out of a situation. Forgive me for forgetting. And thank you for providing.

No comments:

Post a Comment