Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, November 11, 2022

QT 11/11/2022 1 Sam 12:8-10, Whose will is important?

1 Samuel 12:8–10 (ESV) —

8 When Jacob went into Egypt, and the Egyptians oppressed them, then your fathers cried out to the Lord and the Lord sent Moses and Aaron, who brought your fathers out of Egypt and made them dwell in this place. 9 But they forgot the Lord their God. And he sold them into the hand of Sisera, commander of the army of Hazor, and into the hand of the Philistines, and into the hand of the king of Moab. And they fought against them. 10 And they cried out to the Lord and said, ‘We have sinned, because we have forsaken the Lord and have served the Baals and the Ashtaroth. But now deliver us out of the hand of our enemies, that we may serve you.’

 

NOTE: As Samuel retires from rulership and transfers those responsibility to the new King, Saul, he reminds Israel of their history. In many ways, this is a preview of Saul's failure and David's success. Saul did not cry out to God as Israel had done in the past when judged for their sin. There are two passages in the OT where Saul inquires of the Lord, and in both cases the passage records that the Lord did not answer. Why did not God answer Saul? Maybe because Saul never really sought God, he only tried to use God to achieve his purpose. He was not interested in the Lord's will. Saul's interest was in God helping him to achieve his own will. We are a lot like that. Our interest is in our will, not the will of God. Our prayers are about us, not about knowing God.

 

PONDER:

  1. When I pray, what am I really praying about?
  2. Does God answer my prayers? Maybe there is a reason.

 

PRAYER: Father, forgive me for my focus on self. I do desire your will in my life. I do desire your will on earth. I know that you are in charge. Everything I see happening is according to your will. Help me to acknowledge your control and submit to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment