Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

QT 7/19/2023 Ezek 18:19-20;30-32, The danger of ignoring personal sin

Ezekiel 18:19–20 (ESV) —

19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should not the son suffer for the iniquity of the father?’ When the son has done what is just and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

 

Ezekiel 18:30–32 (ESV) —

30 “Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, declares the Lord God. Repent and turn from all your transgressions, lest iniquity be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed, and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord God; so turn, and live.”

 

NOTE: Again, the passage refers to physical judgment, and not directly to salvation. But the principle is similar, if a person repents and turns in faith to God before they die, that person will receive spiritual salvation. But what of a person who put his faith in God and then departs later in life. The bible seems to suggest that situation can't happen. In other words, someone who truly believes can never deny the savior. But God knows the heart, and I believe that no true faith will ever not remain until the end. Jesus has paid it all. His blood and his promise are our assurance of eternal life. But sin can destroy a life, and a believer is susceptible to disabling sin as someone who does not believe. We must remain vigilant. We have a purpose here on earth -- to testify and glorify our savior. It would be a waste to that purpose if we let sin cut short our physical life.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I remaining vigilant to sin that seeks to trip me up and ruin my witness?

 

PRAYER: Father, open my eyes to the dangers before me. Don't let my weakness and stupidity entangle me in sins than ruin my effectiveness for you. Paul felt he was weak and the chief sinner. The older you are, the more you realize your own weaknesses. Have mercy on me I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment