Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 31, 2023

QT 7/31/2023 Ezek 22:25-31, Looking for someone to stand up for truth

Ezekiel 22:25–31 (ESV) —

25 The conspiracy of her prophets in her midst is like a roaring lion tearing the prey; they have devoured human lives; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in her midst. 26 Her priests have done violence to my law and have profaned my holy things. They have made no distinction between the holy and the common, neither have they taught the difference between the unclean and the clean, and they have disregarded my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them. 27 Her princes in her midst are like wolves tearing the prey, shedding blood, destroying lives to get dishonest gain. 28 And her prophets have smeared whitewash for them, seeing false visions and divining lies for them, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord God,’ when the Lord has not spoken. 29 The people of the land have practiced extortion and committed robbery. They have oppressed the poor and needy, and have extorted from the sojourner without justice. 30 And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none. 31 Therefore I have poured out my indignation upon them. I have consumed them with the fire of my wrath. I have returned their way upon their heads, declares the Lord God.”

 

NOTE: This is a fascinating passage. God identifies four groups of people and charges them with their sin.

 

  1. Prophets (twice). They used their position to take treasure and precious things. They grew rich in religion. I'm not sure how they "made" many widows, but one possibility is that they made man widows poor, causing them to be in need. In verse 28, they smeared whitewash, meaning that they told people what they wanted to hear, not what God's word said.
  2. Priests. They made no distinction between the holy and common, the clean and the unclean. They failed to teach people the word of God. They probably disregarded the Sabbath in the thought that they could make more money.
  3. Princes. They took advantage of their power. Instead of bringing justice, they took advantage of their power to steal from people their inheritance through multiple dishonest schemes.
  4. People. The people learned from their leaders. They robbed. They extorted. They oppressed the poor and need. They took advantage of the foreigners.

 

In the end, God says he went looking for one man who stand in the gap and rebuild the wall (their spiritual wall of strength) but could not find anyone. What a sad commentary. The leaders and the people sold themselves to the worldly culture and lost their witness. Oh, how I pray that we, the church, are not doing the same.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I fit in any of those groups in terms of their failures?
  2. Am I a man who can stand in the gap?

 

PRAYER: Father, I know we are deserving of judgment. It should have already happened. It is hard to imagine it waiting much longer. The depth of our sin seems to have hit the bottom. Help us, believers, to stand and proclaim truth in a respectful manner. May we not shrink back.

No comments:

Post a Comment