Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

QT 7/25/2023 Ezek 20:32-49, Living differently from the culture

Ezekiel 20:32 (ESV) —

32 “What is in your mind shall never happen—the thought, ‘Let us be like the nations, like the tribes of the countries, and worship wood and stone.’

Ezekiel 20:39–43 (ESV) —

39 “As for you, O house of Israel, thus says the Lord God: Go serve every one of you his idols, now and hereafter, if you will not listen to me; but my holy name you shall no more profane with your gifts and your idols.

40 “For on my holy mountain, the mountain height of Israel, declares the Lord God, there all the house of Israel, all of them, shall serve me in the land. There I will accept them, and there I will require your contributions and the choicest of your gifts, with all your sacred offerings. 41 As a pleasing aroma I will accept you, when I bring you out from the peoples and gather you out of the countries where you have been scattered. And I will manifest my holiness among you in the sight of the nations. 42 And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I bring you into the land of Israel, the country that I swore to give to your fathers. 43 And there you shall remember your ways and all your deeds with which you have defiled yourselves, and you shall loathe yourselves for all the evils that you have committed.

 

NOTE: I'm not sure what they are saying in verse 32. It does seem like the unthinkable has happened -- Israel has given up its unique difference that made is separate or holy from the other nations -- they have become like the nations around them. But ultimately, God brought his son into the world, and the new creation has changed us from the inside out. And yet, we as Christians, are making the same mistakes as Israel. We are believing and becoming like the culture around us. We are accepting the false teachings and lies of the culture. We are not holding onto the faith.

 

In the future, God will regather his people. It says they will repent, but so far only a remnant have repented. The great judgment, the tribulation, is still coming. At the end of the tribulation, of those who are left, the nation will repent and turn to the Messiah. And Israel will be saved.

 

PONDER:

  1. What are we doing to live differently from the world around us?
  2. Are we holy, set part, different?
  3. Can another tell that we have faith in Jesus by our life?

 

PRAYER: Father, on this trip, I pray I would not shrink back in the opportunities I get to be a witness. Give me courage, boldness, love, and respect for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment