Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 21, 2023

QT 7/21/2023 Ezek 20:3, Realizing that eternal life is far more importan

Ezekiel 20:3 (ESV) —

3 “Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God, Is it to inquire of me that you come? As I live, declares the Lord God, I will not be inquired of by you.

 

NOTE: Cooper (1994) organizes this chapter into eight divisions. It is a history of Israel's rebellion to God.

 

(1) the prophet speaks to the elders (20:1–4);

(2) lessons from the exodus (20:5–9);

(3) lessons from the wilderness days (20:10–14);

(4) lessons for the forty years of wandering (20:15–22);

(5) past rebellions committed in the land (20:23–29);

(6) present rebellions and the coming exile (20:30–39);

(7) the purification after the exile (20:40–44);

(8) the call for judgment to begin (20:45–49).

 

Why repeat a history of sins, when the current sins are obvious and more than sufficient to justify God's anger and judgment against the people?

 

I think there are two reasons. One, we don't seem to learn from the past. It is not as if God has not warned Israel before. Two, we don't seem to appreciate the mercy of God, that our sins have often been passed over.

 

But this passage starts out with the elders seemingly wanting to question God, and God will have none of it. The assumption is that the elders were going to complain for God's terrible judgment upon the people, the land, and the temple. I'm sure it was hard, but for God, life is eternal, not temporary. And while he desires us to live and serve him in this physical world, it is a small piece of our total existence. God sees the bigger picture both for us individually and for the kingdom.

 

It is natural to question God when life is painful or when our children are experiencing pain. And for the most part God does want us to come to him in our anger and our complaining. But there is a limit that is seen in scripture, and one of those limits is obvious sin on our part that has never been dealt with. Sin has consequences, and pain has purpose.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I go to God honestly in my pain and grief?
  2. Do I recognize that there is more to life than this physical life?
  3. Or do I believe that this earthly life is somehow our reward?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to live honestly and truthfully before you. I don't understand all that you do. It is hard to take my eyes off of the physical because it is so concrete and seems so real. But I know, I need to have an eternal perspective to life. Forgive my failures and my boastings and my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment