Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 28, 2026

QT 9/28/2026 Eph 6:1-3, Honoring difficult parents

Ephesians 6:1–3 (ESV) —

1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”

 

NOTE: My Dad passed some time ago. I do have spiritual mentors and I do visit them on occasion. I'm visiting my mother in the next few days. It is hard to honor her because I feel I disagree with her on so many things. I guess I'm not much different from today's generation that has totally disengaged from their family. I am visiting because I should. I am listening and talking but not with much depth less something be misconstrued. I feel I am barely meeting the requirements of honor. I know she appreciates it. But it has been almost two years since I have seen her. And she has yet to meet the two grandchildren. I suppose I will offer to fly her and my sister down again. And I think that is part of what it means to honor her -- what can I do. I do call, but irregularly.

 

Each of us need to step back and ask these questions. What does it mean to honor your parents? You can disagree on many points, but you can still be civil and talk.

 

PONDER:

  1. What can I do to honor my parent?
  2. What should I do to honor my parent?

 

PRAYER: God, I pray for wisdom for what I can do to honor my Mom. I think time together is good, but I struggle to do anything beyond two days. I like to take her out to eat and walk with her in her stores, but is there anything else I can do for her? Give me wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment