Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 1, 2017

QT 1 Sep 17, John 6:41-43, Why must we always grumble about God's provision?

2
 9/1
John 6:28-65
John 6:41–43 (ESV) —
41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42 They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.
This is really fascinating if you think about it. The discussion is about bread. The people bring up the manna that Moses provided. Jesus reminds them that it was God who provided the manna, not Moses. And Jesus claims to be the bread of life given again by God. And then they start to grumble among themselves!
Why is it we always grumble about God's provision? Whether it was in the desert or when the son of God walked the earth, we grumble. I think this is a strategy of Satan. It is not quite as sophisticated as some of his other strategies, like exchanging feelings for logic or eliminating the idea of a creator or equating freedom of lifestyle with the right to  be happy, but this is a strategy--get the people to God to grumble about God's provision.
Lord, forgive me. I am a grumbler. I am, even if at times I think I am pretty easy going and take things as they happen. I am a grumbler. I admit it. When life does not go the way I want it to go, I grumble and complain. In fact, I grumble because other people are grumblers, and somehow think that is good. Forgive me Lord. Help me to be excited about all that you give to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment