Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

QT 27 Sep 17, 1 Cor 10:5-6, What does it mean to please God?

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
5
 9/27
1 Cor 10:1-13
1 Corinthians 10:5–6 (ESV) —
5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
6 Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did.
It says that God was not pleased. God does get angry at us for our sin. Like a Father, he can never remove his favor or love. But sin is displeasing to him and specifically in this case, it was idols, sexual immorality, testing God, and discontentment that caused his displeasure.
The four items are the issues of modern society. Idols: we create God the way we want him to be (e.g., God is only LOVE). Sexual Immorality: anything is good if we enjoy it. Testing God: we continue to argue against his existence by demanding he make life work for us when it was us who rebelled against his rule. Discontentment: we grumble whenever we do not get our own way. We are more interested in our kingdom than God's kingdom.
Father, forgive me as I too have fallen into the trap of these sins. I don't want to displease you with sinful behavior. I know I cannot lose your love or favor, but I want to be a witness that brings pleasure to you. Give me strength to live as you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment