Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 11, 2017

QT 11 Sep 17, Rom 7:7-8, We are war, within our souls

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
3

Romans 7:7-25
Romans 7:7–8 (ESV) —
7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead.
Why is it when we know something is wrong, we want to do it? Some might argue that is not true. The bible says differently. We secretly desire things that are morally wrong. If a sign tells us we can't go somewhere, we wonder why and want to go where we are told we can't. We might argue that the example is only curiosity, but is it?
What we can't argue or disagree with, is that we do not want to obey God's laws. Some part of us does, but another part wants to do what it wants to do without any restrictions. That is the old nature (in the believer), and it is in rebellion to God. Even though we have a new nature, the indwelling Holy Spirit, that does not solve our problem. In fact, now a war is ongoing between right and wrong.
Father, forgive me for giving in to the old nature. In my spirit, I don't want to break your holy law. I want to be obedient. I know what is right and wrong. But I am fool who allows himself to be tricked by the desires of his old nature. Father protect me from the evil one. Continue to work in my life to change me to be more like your Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment