Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, September 14, 2017

QT 14 Sep 17, John 6:53, The flesh and the blood literally saved me

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
3
 9/14
John 6:41-51 (key: 44)
John 6:53 (ESV) —
53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.
Life is only found in the body and blood of Jesus Christ. His body was the sinless sacrifice on the cross that was the substitute for our sins. The blood did not cover our sins, like animal sacrifices, but washed us and made us clean. Communion is a reminder of what God did for us that we could never do for ourselves
Obviously Jesus was not talking in a complete literal sense. It is interesting to note that there is an assumption by the hearers that he was being very literal. Even though they recognized him as a religious teacher, they did not, as some assume, treat his statements metaphorically or allegorically as many do today to most of his sayings. This statement required a view to the end to understand completely. It was literal in a sense, they just did not understand what would happen to Jesus, nor why Jesus came to be crucified.
Father, thank you for Jesus' sacrifice for my sin. Thank you that his body was substituted for mine. Thank you that I have gained his righteousness when I believed. Thank you that the blood washed away my sin and cleanses me from the guilt of my sin. Thank you for taking the initiative to save me, to love me, to send your son to die for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment