Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

QT 21 Sep 17, Gal 5:26, Pride can ruin a witness

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
4
 9/20
Gal 5:13-26
Galatians 5:26 (ESV) —
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
John Stott writes “This is a very instructive verse because it shows that our conduct to others is determined by our opinion of ourselves.”
Fung writes “To ‘be conceited’ is to boast of things that are insignificant and lacking in true worth, whether the boaster actually has them or only imagines that he has them or desires to have them.”
Pride has always been my struggle. I am guilty of thinking too highly of myself at times. I know I need to shut up. I know I don't need to insert my qualifications and badges into a discussion, but I do far too frequently and abstain far too rarely. Why do I do that? Why can I not be content with who I am in the eyes of God?
Lord, forgive me for my pride. It really does not matter who I was or who I am today. I want to be known as a man who loves you, seeks to walk with you, is good, and is kind to others. The other stuff was great and it was a fun ride, but I am who I am now, not who I was. Forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment