Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

QT 13 Sep 17, Rom 8:13,17, Living for Christ will cost us and not living for Christ will cost us even more

Wk
Date
Passage
Key Verses(s) [Optional]
Basic Thing(s) Taught
Personal Insight(s) & Application(s)
Prayer Response
3
 9/13
Romans 8:1-17
Romans 8:13,17 (ESV) —
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. … 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
I believe that these words are written for the believer. Living according to the flesh is death, and while that death is not eternal separation, it is spiritual decline and potentially physical death. So instead of honoring God with our life on earth, we leave without the rewards that we can offer at his feet in thankfulness.
That is why we must suffer. One, we just will suffer (it's a given). And two, living a Christian life will bring some degree of suffering -- definitely not to the degree that many places around the world experience. But it could cost us our job or friendships or even slander. Living in the flesh could protect you from those temporal pains, but will cost you spiritually.
Lord, help me to live in obedience to you. Give me power to stand up to the shrill voices of the world. Yet may I do it with gentleness and respect. Protect me, but more importantly, use me to accomplish your will and plan on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment