Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, January 10, 2019

QT 10 Jan 19, 2 Cor 9:10, We give, not to get


2 Corinthians 9:10 (ESV) — He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

NOTE: This verse is not a health and wealth gospel verse. God supplies seed and bread. He can also multiply our seed and harvest. But why will he do that? The context is a special ministry gift for the poor in Jerusalem. God can multiply our harvest so that we can multiply our giving. There is no promise, whatsoever, that God will multiply our harvest so that we can spend more on our self. The passage is entirely focused on ministry. There is also a warning in the preceding verses, specifically verse 6, but I like how Paul wrote it to the Galatians: Gal 6:7–9 (ESV) — 7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. What is my purpose in sowing? If it is selfish, I will reap the results of selfishness and corruption.

PRAYER: Father, whatever may change in the next couple of months, may I remember that I live for you and not myself. Help me to use the resources you have given me for the kingdom's sake and not my own. I want to live, in all ways, in a manner befitting my glorious name -- child of the King, the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment