Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, January 7, 2019

QT 7 Jan 19, 2 Cor 8:10, Giving is for our good


2 Corinthians 8:10 (ESV) — And in this matter I give my judgment: this benefits you, who a year ago started not only to do this work but also to desire to do it.

NOTE: Paul is discussion a giving project of the Corinthians which they started. While Paul qualifies his statement, I do believe it is a scriptural principle -- giving is for our good. It benefits us in many ways, but I think it benefits us primarily spiritually and socially. It also protects us from one of the traps of the enemy, wealth. When we give, we learn to enjoy giving. It becomes second nature. In many ways, the opposite actions have similar effects -- when we hoard and withhold, we learn to enjoy keeping our wealth, and our selfishness becomes second nature. Ultimately, the real danger is to fall in love with money. But giving is the prescription to the evil of greed and selfishness. The more we give, the more we become free of the entanglement of riches.

PRAYER: Father, may I always remember and live this principle. I do not want to fall in love with money. Forgive when I fall into that trap. I want to fall in love with you every day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment